What is the new Corona virus?
The new Coronavirus is a new strain of the Coronavirus, recently discovered in some cases of pneumonia in some people in China.
What are the main clinical symptoms of the disease?
What are the ways of transmission of the virus?
It can be transmitted from person to person by:
- Direct contact
- Droplets from sneezing, coughing, or talking
What is the treatment?
To date, there is no known treatment, except supportive care.
What are the methods of prevention?
There is no vaccine yet for the new Corona virus, and the best prevention methods are:
- Clean hands with soap and water or alcohol based hand rub regularly
- Cover your mouth and nose while coughing or sneezing, using a tissue or flexed elbow
- Avoid close contact with people with symptoms or signs of a cold, and avoid touching exudate from an infected person such as saliva or nasal secretions
Tips for Travelers
Tips for travelers coming from places where the disease has spread and have symptoms such as fever, cough and shortness of breath.
- Seek medical care and use precautions to prevent the spread of respiratory infections including (covering the mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing, proper disposal of used wipes, and washing hands regularly).
- Avoid direct contact with others.
- Inform the health care provider about your recent travel and the symptoms you are experiencing.
- Stay at home unless the healthcare provider specifies otherwise.
For more information about Novel Coronavirus:
Questions and answers on coronavirus
Questions being answered in this video:
- What is a coronavirus?
- What is the difference between coronavirus and influenza?
- Does WHO recommend any specific antiviral treatment?
Source: Ministry of Health