Photography… you don’t need to be adept with a pencil or fluent with a paintbrush, the world’s your canvas. In short, photography is an art form almost anyone can enjoy from a mobile phone user to a pro SLR owner. To this end, Bahrain Arts Society’s Photoclub is empowering the Kingdom to improve their photographic skills by focusing on “creativity through the lense”.
How? Firstly by example, with an inspiring exhibition of images by the Photoclub”s esteemed members. Many of whom have won international awards and accolades. Secondly via encouragement, through a series of workshops held by the Nikon School and Bahrain Photoclub members– novices can become experts, experts will embellish their experience. Youngsters especially will be invited to enter one of the competitions perhaps “Creative Selfies”, “ My Friends” or “Architecture At The Harbour” all subject’s youngsters can relate to via a mobile phone camera.
Masuma will be bringing along her interactive photo-booth, a mobile studio set-up with fun props. Portraits can be transferred to mugs t-shirts or prints. A great souvenir of Bahrain’s first Photographic Festival.
However, let’s not forget photography has a rich heritage; Haider Rafeé has amassed a vast collection of historic cameras, 80 of which he will be exhibiting at the Festival. Some more than 100 years old. Antiques that captured Bahrain’s past, perhaps the first oil well opening, the sea lapping the shoreline at Bab-al-Bahrain or swimming in fresh water springs at Adahri Park. All reminders of the power of photographs to evoke a nostalgic moment in time, frozen in a second – captured – then timeless
Perhaps that’s the essence of the Photographic Festival, a vision to awaken the power of evocative imagery and stimulate the desire to capture life’s significant moments – more imaginatively.
The inaugural Bahrain Photographic Festival 2017 which will take place from 10th to 20th April with a full program of events daily from 11am till 8pm.
The Festival is being held on the 2nd floor of Harbour Gate within Bahrain Financial Harbour.
A limited invitation only opening ceremony will be held at 7pm April 10th with guest of honour:
H.E. Shaikha Mai Bint Mohammed Al-Khalifa
President of the Bahrain Authority for Culture and Antiquities and Chairperson of the board of the Arab Regional Centre of World Heritage.
To register in advance for the opening ceremony
go to weblink bfharbour.com/bpf2017
Improve your images
Workshops and Events
- Nikon School Workshops by Ashrafs
- The Bahrain Photo Club – A Success Story
- Basic Training Levels 1 & 2
- Photography or Art?
- Cityscape Photography
- Sports Photography
- How to get a great shot?
- The Vintage Camera collection
- For more information visit
Bahrain Photoclub – a rich heritage with a globally recognized organization.
- Bahrain Photoclub was founded in 1985 with the encouragement of HE Sheikh Rashid Bin Khalifa Al Khalifa and Mr. Husain Ali.
- Since formation Bahrain Photoclub has been an active member of the International Federation of Photographic Arts (FIAP).
- Founded in 1947, FIAP unites over one million photographers in 85 global locations.
- Bahrain Photoclub organized the first national contest for photography in the year 1986
- In1987, the club became the continental representative for (FIAP).
- In the 32nd FIAP Biennale held in Turkey in 2014, Mohammed Bu Hassan, a Bahraini photographer won first prize – beating 84 countries.
- In 2016 in Seoul, Korea Bahrain repeated its success by becoming listed in the top ten.
- The club also conducts courses and photography workshops and hosts many professional photographers from the United States, GCC, United Kingdom and beyond.
Sheika Hanan Hassan Al Khalifa, joined Bahrain Arts Society in 1991 and has participated in major exhibitions in Bahrain and abroad since 1995. She represented Bahrain in FIAP congress in Italy and Budapest, and won first place in the “Bahrain Arts Society Exhibition” in 2004. As well as receiving the title of AFIAP from the International Federation of Photographic Art. Hanan is currently the President of the Photo Club.
Khalil Hammad, Vice President of Bahrain Arts Society and member of the Photo club since 1993. He participated in several exhibitions: FIAP congress in Italy, Hungary, China, Slovenia, Vietnam, Singapore and Budapest.
Nader Al-Bazzaz, participated in many competitions such as: Al-Thani Competition for Photography in Qatar, the International Union Contest FIAP in black and white in Vietnam 2010, and the National Geographic contest in Abu Dhabi 2012 – 2013.
Mahdi Al-Jallawi, member of Bahrain Arts Society Photo Club since 2007, and founder of “CAD World” The Art of Design. He works as a photographer plus director of short films, and has judged numerous photographic exhibitions.