Have you ever eaten or drank something and thought “I can totally make this myself”? Doesn’t it feel great when you try a recipe and it just turns out perfect? We love that feeling.
Today, challenge yourself by trying a new simple recipe of a popular sweet drink — bubble tea or boba tea! It’s perfect for the summer and really easy to make. Good luck!
45g packed brown sugar
90g tapioca starch
35g packed brown sugar (for syrup)
200ml brewed black tea
Sugar to taste
- Combine water and sugar in a pot. Warm up until the sugar is dissolved.
- Turn off the heat. Add a heaped tablespoon of the tapioca starch. Once combined, turn the heat back on and keep stirring until it starts to thicken. Take the pot off the heat.
- Once thickened, add the remaining tapioca starch and combine into a dough.
- Sprinkle some tapioca starch on the counter and knead the tapioca until nicely incorporated.
- Roll the dough into long thin sticks (about half an inch wide).
- Slice the dough and roll into balls.
- Add the rolled boba balls into a pot of boiling water, stirring constantly until they float up to the surface. Leave to cook for ~20mins.
- After ~20mins, turn off the heat, but keep covered and allow to rest for an additional 20mins.
- Strain the boba pearls. Set aside.
- Warm up 35g packed brown sugar in a pan and add the boba pearls. Mix until sugar is melted.
- Add creamer and sugar to the brewed black tea (you can leave this to chill or if you’re impatient, just add ice).
- Add the boba pearls to your glass and pour the tea and enjoy!
*If you don’t want to use tea, you can use milk with a little whipped cream on top instead, for an almost milkshakey taste!
If this doesn’t turn out as expected, don’t worry — we have a list of great bubble tea spots for you to check out here!