What is nice cream?
Nice cream is a banana-based treat just like regular ice cream, but healthier and better for you – hence the term “nice” cream. It is a whole-food vegan ice cream which is rich and creamy and light at the same time. It is also sugar-free and dairy-free, making it easier to digest.
Your main ingredients will be frozen bananas and coconut milk or your choice of plant milk and your choice of fruit.
Note: If you are not too keen on bananas as your base, you can use other custardy fruits such as mangoes, peaches, apricots, cantaloupe, or cherries.
Here are the super simple steps on how to make your own colorful nice cream at home.
- Freeze whole, peeled, ripe bananas until firm.
(Tip: The riper the bananas, the sweeter your nice cream will be.)
- Break about 3-4 bananas into 1-inch chunks.
- Add all the bananas and other ingredients into a high-speed blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Freeze for about an hour or two before serving. For a soft-serve consistency, serve immediately.
- Add your favourite toppings, and enjoy!
Experiment with different flavours
Once you’ve got the hang of all the steps, the possibilities are endless when it comes to flavouring! You can add cocoa powder, pistachio butter, other frozen fruits (banana and strawberry are a great match!), or even rose water.